Snacking between meals has become essential since being diagnosed with dysautonomia – eating every couple of hours helps stabilise my blood sugar levels, which helps control my symptoms. Energy balls are my favourite go-to snack – they can be made in just 5 minutes with minimal effort – simply blend the ingredients in a food processor, roll the mixture into balls and place in the fridge, where they can be stored for up to a week. They are also made from healthy nutritious ingredients that are free from refined sugar, preservatives and artificial flavours that store bought snacks often contain: –
- Green banana flour is a great source of resistant starch, which encourages the growth of good bacteria in the gut, and is high in essential vitamins and minerals like potassium, magnesium and zinc.
- Lemons helps remove toxins from the body and are a good source of vitamin C, which supports the immune system.
- Wild blueberry powder is higher in antioxidants than regular blueberries, fight and prevent the growth of viruses and bacteria, reduces the effect of radiation on the body and removes toxic heavy metals from the brain.
- Medjool dates provide natural sweetness making this recipe refined sugar free.
This recipe is free from gluten, wheat, grains, dairy, lactose, soy, eggs, nuts and refined sugar. It is suitable for vegans, vegetarians, and those following the auto-immune protocol (AIP).
Wild Blueberry & Lemon Energy Balls
Quick and healthy snack made in just 5 minutes. Free from gluten, dairy, grains, nuts and refined sugar.
- 100 grams medjool dates, pitted (approximately 6)
- 60 grams (6 tablespoons) green banana flour
- 1.5 tablespoons wild blueberry powder
- Zest from 1 large lemon
- 2 tablespoons juice from lemon
- Step 1 Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend on high for 1 minute or until the mixture is combined,
- Step 2 Transfer the mixture into a bowl. Press the mixture together with your hands until a dough forms,
- Step 3 Split the dough into 6 equal pieces,
- Step 4 Roll the pieces of dough between your hands into balls,
- Step 5 Eat straight away or chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours for a firmer texture,
- Step 6 Keep in the fridge for up to a week.