Fennel has a delightful aniseed liquorice flavour. Fennel juice provides a concentrated source of nutrients, which are easily absorbed when consumed on an empty stomach, providing numerous health benefits, including being a great homemade digestive drink to improve gut health. It’s a hydrating, refreshing, cleansing & anti-inflammatory drink, made without fruit to produce a low sugar juicing recipe.
Disclaimer: This post is for informational purposes only. Information in this post and blog is not intended to constitute or be a substitute for medical advice. Please consult a qualified practitioner if you have any questions regarding medical problems and before making any changes to your current diet or treatment plan. This post contains affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you I will earn commission if you click on a link and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full disclaimer here.
Benefits of cold pressed juice
Juicing green vegetables turns them to liquid form, which means they’re digested easier than whole fruits and vegetables. Raw pressed juice floods the body with a concentrated high dose of nutrients that are easily absorbed without the body having to expend any energy digesting it (1).
Fennel juice benefits
- Anti inflammatory green juice. Its packed with antioxidants which reduce inflammation.
- Immune boosting juice. It’s a rich source of vitamin C, polyphenols and flavonoids, to help support the immune system.
- Nutrient dense. It provides a variety of vitamins and minerals, like potassium and folate, which are important for heart, skin and bone health, help lower blood pressure and cholesterol, balance blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of illnesses like cancer.
- Contains a unique volatile oil anethole, which has antibacterial, antiviral and anti fungal properties.
- Gut healing juice. It relaxes the muscles in the stomach, colon and digestive system to reduce pain and stomach cramps and provide relief for gas, flatulence, bloating, constipation and diarrhoea, making it the best juice for stomach issues.
- Green juice for digestion. It increases the production of digestive enzymes, which improves digestion and maximises the amount of nutrients we absorb from our food.
- Hydrating and cleansing. A morning green juice has become an integral part of my daily routine to improve my health. It’s packed full of electrolytes to help me stay hydrated. Also, being easily absorbed and giving the digestive system a rest provides the body with more energy to cleanse, heal and regenerate.
- Store bought juices are pasteurised to kill bacteria and increase shelf life. Heating the juice also kills the nutrients and digestive enzymes, reducing the amount of nutrients we receive and placing greater stress on the digestive system. Making juices at home retains the digestive enzymes and maximises the nutrients we absorb.
Related Post: 10 Tips To Improve Digestion
Ingredients in this low sugar juice recipe
So many green juices contain fruit like apples. As juicing removes the fibre, too much fruit can cause a rapid rise in blood sugar levels, which can increase inflammation and symptoms for those with pots and dysautonomia, diabetes or other chronic illnesses.
So I begun experimenting and coming up with sugar free juice recipes with no fruit. I vary the ingredients I include each day to get a variety of nutrients. However, the fennel juice below is one of my favourites as it’s one of my best juices for digestion.
- Cos/romaine lettuce
HOW TO MAKE Fennel JUICE
Juicing fennel is so simple – simply put the ingredients through a juicer, pour into a glass and enjoy!
Best green juicer machine
There are 2 types of juicers you can use, depending on your budget:–
- Centrifugal (UK Link/US Link). These are the cheapest and extract juice in the quickest time so great for those on a budget or short on time. However, the quick extraction process creates heat that causes some of the nutrients to be lost.
- Cold press/masticating (UK Link/US Link). These are more expensive but produce a greater amount of juice from the same amount of ingredients as centrifugal juicers. The time taken to extract the juice is longer, but the slower process results in less heat being generated, which preserves a greater amount of nutrients.
How to make juice without a juicer
Juicing without a juicer is possible by transforming it into a blender green juice recipe in 3 simple steps. The following pieces of equipment are needed:-
How to make Green juice in a blender
1). Add the ingredients to a blender along with 120ml/1/2 cup filtered water.
2). Blend the ingredients on high until a smooth liquid is formed, adding more filtered water if needed to get the blender moving.
3). Strain through a nut milk bag and pour into a glass.
I always prefer using a juicer, as I find the filtered water dilutes the flavour. However, using a blender is a great option for those who don’t have a juicer.
Best blender for juicing
It’s best to make this blender green juice in vitamix, although any high speed blender can be used.
When is the best time to drink green juice
Drinking green juice in the morning on an empty stomach is best, as this is when nutrients will be absorbed easiest.
How long does juice last after juicing
When juiced vegetables are exposed to air and oxygen, the activated nutrients and digestive enzymes and the freshness, taste and colour of the juice all reduce over time. Therefore, to receive the most nutrients and maximise the health benefits, it’s recommended to drink this fennel juice straight away after juicing.
However, there are storage tips to keep juice fresh to make juicing in advance possible for consumption at a later time.
How to store fresh juice
How to preserve fresh juice
The best way to store fresh juice is by:-
- Adding freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice to it.
- Filling the jar completely to the top with the juice when storing in the fridge,
- When freezing juice, leave at least half an inch gap at the top of the jar as the juice will expand as it freezes.
These tips minimise the juice’s exposure to air and oxygen and the amount the nutrient content, freshness, taste and colour reduces over time.
How long does fresh juice last in the fridge
The length of time depends on the type of juicer used:-
- Centrifugal juicers – drink within 24 hours.
- Cold press/slow masticating juicers – drink within 48 hours.
How long does homemade juice last in the freezer
Juice can be stored for up to 2 months in the freezer. The best way to defrost frozen juice is to remove them from the freezer and leave them to thaw in fridge before drinking.
This healthy green juice is naturally free from major allergens and allergy friendly. If you want a gluten free juice, raw plant based green juice, aip juice or whole 30 approved drinks, then this juice can be enjoyed exactly as it is, with no substitutions required. Making this homemade green juice without fruit makes it a low sugar recipe with a low glycemic index. It’s, therefore, a great option for those looking for juicing recipes for diabetes.
tag me in your fennel juice creations on social media
I really hope you enjoy this fennel juice. If you make it I’d love to know. Please leave a rating and comment below and tag me on social media – I’m on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube & Pinterest and also use the hashtag #lbhealthandlifestyle.
other drink recipes
Fennel Juice Recipe (Drink For Digestion)
Fennel juice - a great homemade digestive drink recipe made with no fruit that's hydrating, cleansing and anti-inflammatory.
- Step 1 Put all the ingredients through a juicer.
- Step 2 Pour into a glass and serve straight away.
- Step 3 To make fennel juice in the blender. Place all the ingredients in the blender with 120 ml/1/2 cup filtered water.
- Step 4 Blend on high until a smooth liquid is formed, adding more filtered water if needed to get the blender moving.
- Step 5 Strain through a nut milk bag and serve straight away in a glass.
- Step 6 Above links are for US readers. UK links – juicer, vitamix blender, nut milk bag.