Herbal sleep tea recipe to include as a part of your nighttime routine for better sleep. Banana peel is high in potassium and magnesium, which is important for sleep. It’s combined with a range of loose herbal teas to help ease anxiety and stress and increase relaxation at bedtime to help you fall asleep quicker, wake fewer times during the night and sleep for longer.
Disclaimer: This sleepytime tea recipe post is intended for informational purposes only. This is not intended to constitute or be a substitute for medical advice. Please consult a qualified practitioner if you have any questions regarding medical problems and before making any changes to your current diet or treatment plan. This sleep tea recipe post contains affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you I will earn commission if you click on a link and make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. See my full disclaimer here.
importance of sleep
Sleep is so vital for health. It:-
- Boosts our immune system,
- Improves mental wellbeing,
- Increases energy levels,
- Improves attention, concentration and memory,
- Helps balance blood sugar and hormone levels,
- Removes toxins from our body (1).
How I feel each day is impacted the most by how well I slept the previous night. One thing that helps me is drinking this herbal loose leaf tea for sleep 2 hours before going to bed. It helps me relax, eases anxiety and stress and provides my body with the nutrients it needs to sleep better and fight insomnia.
sleep tea recipe Ingredients
- Banana peel. Source of magnesium and potassium which improves sleep (2). I avoid using the banana itself to prevent the sugar impacting my sleep.
- Lemon balm, lemon verbena and chamomile loose tea. These increase relaxation and eases anxiety and stress (3, 4, 5).
- Fennel seed (UK Link/US Link). Aids digestion to relieve any nausea at night and helps muscles relax (6).
- Ceylon cinnamon sticks (UK Link/US Link). Balances blood sugar levels, which allows you to fall asleep quicker, reduces how often you wake during the night and increases the amount of deep restorative sleep (7). Ceylon is higher quality than Cassia cinnamon (8).
Importance of Loose Tea Rather Than Teabags
As a part of my transition to a low toxin lifestyle, reducing the harmful toxins and chemicals I’m exposed to everyday, I’ve switched tea bags for loose tea. Teabags contain microplastics that leach into our tea and can harm our health in numerous ways, such as:-
- Disrupting hormones,
- Damaging the brain and nervous system,
- Causing reproductive problems,
- Contributing to asthma,
- Causing learning difficulties (9).
Loose tea is free from microplastics and has a stronger and better flavour (9).
- Small milk pan (UK Link/US Link)
- Measuring jug (UK Link/US Link) or measuring cups (UK Link/US Link)
- Measuring spoons (UK Link/US Link)
- Tea strainer (UK Link/US Link)
I ensure the equipment used is 100% ceramic, glass or stainless steel, rather than plastic, aluminium, copper or teflon. Aluminium, copper, plastic and teflon leach toxins and heavy metals into the tea when heated, which is harmful to our health and can impair sleep. 100% ceramic and glass are free from toxins and don’t leach heavy metals into drinks, while stainless steel is safer than aluminium, copper and teflon (8).
how to make sleepy time tea
This sleep tea recipe is so easy to make. Simply bring the water to a boil, add all the ingredients, turn the heat down to low and leave to simmer for 10 minutes. Then, strain with a tea strainer and serve straight away.
Sleep Tea recipe Dietary requirements
This sleep tea recipe is:-
- Gluten free
- Dairy free
- Wheat free
- Lactose free
- Soy free
- Egg free
- Nut free
- Grain free
- Nightshade free
- Refined sugar free
- Oil free
- Paleo and
- Whole30 friendly.
other herbal tea recipes
- Oven Baked Chocolate Pancake
- Rainbow Nourish Bowl – For Any Dietary Requirement
- Green Juice For Digestion
- Tiger Nut Milk – Nut-Free, Soy-Free, Grain-Free Plant Based Alternative
- Wild Blueberry & Lemon Healthy Bliss Balls
- Immune Boosting Chaga Berry Smoothie Bowl
- Healthy Tropical Popsicles/Ice Lollies
- Healthy Turmeric Panna Cotta
- Sprouted Buckwheat Pesto Salad
tag me in your sleep tea recipe creations on social media
I really hope you enjoy this sleep tea recipe. If you make the recipe I’d love to see your creations. Tag me on social media – Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest & YouTube and also use the hashtag #lbhealthandlifestyle.
Sleep Tea Recipe - Increase Relaxation & Ease Anxiety, Stress & Insomnia
Herbal banana sleep tea - bedtime drink for better sleep. Banana peel combined with chamomile, lemon balm, lemon verbena, cinnamon & fennel seed loose tea to increase relaxation and ease anxiety, stress and insomnia.
- Step 1 In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil,
- Step 2 Add the chamomile, lemon balm, lemon verbena, fennel seed, cinnamon sticks and banana peel.
- Step 3 Turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 10 minutes,
- Step 4 Strain with a tea strainer and serve straight away (or remove from the heat and leave to steep for longer for a stronger flavour).
- Step 5 Above links are for US readers. UK links – small saucepan, measuring jug, measuring cups & spoons, chamomile, lemon balm, lemon verbena, fennel seed, cinnamon sticks, tea strainer.