The liver performs over 500 essential functions to keep the body healthy, including removing harmful toxins and absorbing and storing nutrients from the foods we eat. This liver detox tea recipe, a herbal blend made with burdock root, dandelion root, milk thistle, hibiscus, rosehips and ceylon cinnamon, helps provide the nutrients needed for the liver to perform these tasks.
Disclaimer: This post is intended for informational purposes only. I’m not a qualified practitioner and I’m not encouraging anyone else to implement this. This is not intended to constitute or be a substitute for medical advice. This post contains affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you I will earn commission if you click on a link and make a purchase. See my full disclaimer here.
In my previous blog posts, I spoke about my transition to a toxin free lifestyle and the 6 detox pathways I’m supporting to optimise my body’s ability to remove toxins and improve my health. One of these detox pathways is the liver.
Why is it important to support the liver?
We’re exposed to over 700,000 chemicals everyday, more than ever before (1). The liver performs over 500 essential functions to keep our body healthy. It’s constantly cleansing and filtering our blood, removing harmful chemicals, hormones, toxins and heavy metals. It also produces bile to help digest and absorb nutrients from our food and allow these toxins to be removed from the body (2).
We need to get the nutrients needed for these processes to take place from the foods we eat and drinks we consume (2). Not providing our bodies with the nutrients it needs can impair the liver and other detox pathways (colon, kidneys, lymphatic system & skin) ability to remove toxins. If the amount of toxins we’re exposed to exceeds the amount that being eliminated, then toxins begin to accumulate and be stored in the body, which increases inflammation and impairs normal function and can cause numerous symptoms, including fatigue, dizziness and pain (2).
One way I’m consuming the nutrients needed to support the liver is drinking this liver detox herbal tea below.
Ingredients in this liver detox tea recipe and how they benefit the liver
- Milk thistle, dandelion root and burdock root. These are bitter herbs that improve liver function by stimulating the production of bile to help remove toxins (3).
- Hibiscus and rosehips. Both are high in antioxidants and vitamin C, which supports the immune system and protects the body from free radical damage, which are produced as a by-product of the liver removing toxins (4, 5).
- Ceylon cinnamon stick (UK Link/US Link). This balances blood sugar levels and has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which protects the liver from damage (6). Ceylon cinnamon is higher quality than Cassia cinnamon. Cassia cinnamon contains coumarin, which in large amounts can damage the liver (7).
Equipment needed for this liver detox tea
- Small milk pan (UK Link/US Link)
- Measuring jug (UK Link/US Link) or measuring cups (UK Link/US Link)
- Measuring spoons (UK Link/US Link)
- Tea strainer (UK Link/US Link)
I ensure the equipment used is 100% ceramic, glass or stainless steel, rather than plastic, aluminium, copper or teflon. Aluminium, copper, plastic and teflon leach toxins and heavy metals into the tea when heated, which increases the stress on the liver and is harmful to our health. 100% ceramic and glass are free from toxins, while stainless steel is safer than aluminium, copper and teflon (8).
Liver Detox Tea recipe Dietary requirements
This liver cleanse tea is free from:-
- Refined sugar
It is also:-
- Whole30 and
- Autoimmune protocol friendly
other herbal tea recipes
- Oven Baked Chocolate Pancake
- Rainbow Nourish Bowl – For Any Dietary Requirement
- Green Juice For Digestion
- Tiger Nut Milk – Nut-Free, Soy-Free, Grain-Free Plant Based Alternative
- Wild Blueberry & Lemon Energy Balls
- Immune Boosting Chaga Berry Smoothie Bowl
- Healthy Tropical Popsicles/Ice Lollies
- Healthy Turmeric Panna Cotta
- Sprouted Buckwheat Pesto Salad
tag me in your liver detox tea creations on social media
I really hope you enjoy this liver detox tea recipe. If you make the recipe I’d love to see your creations. Tag me on social media – I’m @lbhealthandlifestyle on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest & YouTube and also use the hashtag #lbhealthandlifestyle on Instagram.
Liver Detox Tea Recipe - Herbal Blend
Burdock root, dandelion root, milk thistle, hibiscus, rosehip and ceylon cinnamon herbal tea to support the liver.
- 1 teaspoon milk thistle seed
- 1 teaspoon dandelion root
- 1 teaspoon burdock root
- 1 tablespoon hibiscus
- 5 whole rosehips
- 1 Ceylon cinnamon stick
- 350 ml/1.5 cups filtered water
- Step 1 In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil,
- Step 2 Add the milk thistle, dandelion root, burdock root, hibiscus, whole rosehips and ceylon cinnamon stick, turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 10 minutes,
- Step 3 Strain with a tea strainer and serve straight away.
- Step 4 Above links are for UK readers. For US readers – milk thistle seed, dandelion root, burdock root, hibiscus, whole rosehips, ceylon cinnamon stick, small saucepan, tea strainer.