Healthy oven baked chocolate pancake. A healthy, quick & easy breakfast or dessert recipe made with nutritious ingredients in just 15 minutes. Baking the pancake in the oven rather than on a stove as traditionally done, makes them quicker and easier to prepare and allows you to make a large batch in one go without standing flipping each one. Allergy friendly and suitable for numerous dietary requirements. Free from gluten, dairy, lactose, grains, soy, eggs, nuts, seeds, refined sugar & oil. Vegan, autoimmune protocol (AIP) & paleo friendly.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you I will earn commission if you click on a link and make a purchase. See my full disclaimer here.
Pancakes are one of our favourite foods to enjoy for breakfast, brunch or dessert. However, traditionally, they are made in a frying pan, where having to flip each pancake can be time consuming.
benefit of oven baked pancakes
Oven baked pancakes – where you transfer the normal pancake mixture to a cake tin and leave it to bake in the oven – are a great alternative as they produce the same fluffy light pancake while also: –
- Preventing you from standing over a hot stove flipping each pancake,
- Require less time and energy to make,
- The recipe can easily be increased to make numerous servings. This allows you to cook a large batch and have breakfast prepped for the week in one go if desired.
ingredients in this oven baked chocolate pancake
To make this an allergy-friendly, healthy, nutritious breakfast that can be enjoyed by everyone, regular flour, sugar, eggs and milk that traditional pancakes are made with are replaced with:-
- Green banana flour (UK Link/US Link). Used to replace regular flour, green banana flour is high in resistant starch, which feeds the good bacteria in the gut, improving gut health and boosting the immune system (1).
- Arrowroot powder (UK Link/US Link).
- Carob powder (UK Link/US Link). Provides the chocolate flavour
- Unsweetened apple sauce (UK Link/US Link). Used as an egg and sugar replacement to make this recipe refined sugar free. Avoid store bought apple sauces as they contain added sugar and preservatives. Instead, Clearspring Bio Kitchen Organic Unsweetened Apple Sauce, if you’re in the UK or Eden’s Organic Apple Sauce if you’re in the US, contain solely apples, ensuring your pancake is refined sugar free.
- Filtered water.
benefit of using carob powder rather than chocolate or cacao/cocoa powder
The chocolate flavour comes from carob powder (UK Link/US Link) rather than melted chocolate, cocoa or cacao powder. Chocolate, cocoa and cacao powder contain caffeine or other stimulants, which are not suitable for:-
- Those who are sensitive to caffeine,
- Those with conditions like dysautonomia and POTS where caffeine can potentially increase symptoms, and
- Those following the autoimmune protocol.
Carob powder is free from caffeine and stimulants, while also being refined sugar free and lower in fat, making it the perfect chocolate alternative.
- 16cm/7 inch cake tin (UK Link/US Link)
- 2 mixing bowls (UK Link/US Link)
- Measuring spoons and cups (UK Link/US Link)
- Mixing spoon (UK Link/US Link)
- Parchment paper (UK Link/US Link). Make sure it is unbleached like Juvale’s in the UK or If You Care in the US. White parchment paper is coated with chlorine, which leaches a toxic chemical dioxin when heated.
- Scales (UK Link/US Link)
- Toothpick cake tester (UK Link/US Link)
oven baked chocolate pancake Dietary Requirements
This recipe is free from:-
- Refined Sugar
It is also:-
- Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) friendly.
tag me in your creations on social media
I really hope you enjoy this pancake. If you make the recipe I’d love to see your creations. Tag me on social media – I’m @lbhealthandlifestyle on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest & YouTube and also use the hashtag #lbhealthandlifestyle.
- Immune Boosting Chaga Berry Smoothie Bowl
- Rainbow Nourish Bowl – For Any Dietary Requirement
- Green Juice For Digestion
- Tiger Nut Milk – Nut-Free, Soy-Free, Grain-Free Plant Based Alternative
- Wild Blueberry & Lemon Energy Balls
- Herbal Tea For Liver Health
- Herbal Tea For Sleep & Relaxation
- Healthy Tropical Popsicles/Ice Lollies
- Healthy Turmeric/Golden Milk Panna Cotta
Oven Baked Chocolate Pancake
Healthy, quick & easy oven baked chocolate pancake, ready in just 15 minutes. Allergy-friendly. Free from gluten, dairy, soy, lactose, nuts, seeds, eggs, grains, oil & refined sugar. Vegan, autoimmune protocol (AIP) & paleo friendly.
- 4 tablespoons carob powder
- 1.5 tablespoons green banana flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 120 grams (1/2 cup) unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tablespoon filtered water
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 120 grams (1 cup) berries of choice
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C/200°C fan
- Step 2 Line a 16 cm circular cake tin with parchment paper
- Step 3 In one mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients (carob powder, green banana flour, arrowroot powder and baking soda)
- Step 4 In a separate mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients (apple sauce and water)
- Step 5 Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and gently stir until fully combined (do not over mix the batter)
- Step 6 Transfer the mixture into the 16 cm cake tin and spread until it forms an even layer
- Step 7 Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until the top is set and a toothpick in the centre comes out mostly clean
- Step 8 Let the pancake cool for a few minutes in the tin. Then, transfer to a plate and serve straight away with the berries of your choice on top.
- Step 9 Above links are for UK readers. For US readers – carob powder, green banana flour, arrowroot powder, unsweetened apple sauce, cake tin, mixing bowl, parchment paper, toothpick