This root vegetable soup is a nutrient dense, filling and comforting meal, perfect as a starter or meal on its own, which is easily made in 30 minutes. It’s an allergy free soup – as well as being a dairy free gluten free soup, it’s oil free, grain free, nut free and seed free with vegan, autoimmune protocol AIP, paleo and whole30 options.
Disclaimer: This root vegetable dairy free gluten free soup recipe post contains affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you I will earn commission if you click on a link and make a purchase. See my full disclaimer here.
Root vegetable soup is such a classic warm, comforting and filling soup. However, gluten and dairy free soup recipes are hard to find. Soups are either thickened with cream and yoghurt or made with gluten containing stocks. This recipe:-
- Has the unique addition of sea moss gel to help thicken it, a mineral rich algae containing 92 of the 102 vitamins and minerals our bodies need,
- Is thickened without cream or yoghurt,
- Made with an allergy friendly broth and,
- Is free from inflammatory vegetable oils, added sugar and salt and inflammatory preservatives and additives that store bought canned soups contain.
Therefore, as well as being a dairy and gluten free soup, it’s free from all other major allergens and caters for numerous dietary requirements. If you want a gluten free soup, dairy free soup, aip soup, vegan soup, oil free soup, whole30 soup or paleo soup, this recipe has all your needs covered!
This root vegetable dairy free gluten free soup is made easily in 30 minutes. It’s a comforting filling meal on its own or can be enjoyed as a starter before moving onto this Pumpkin and Mushroom Risotto, for example.
Related Recipe: Pumpkin and Mushroom Risotto With Celeriac Rice
1). Root vegetables – parsnip, sweet potato, carrot and turnip.
2). Bone broth (UK Link/US Link) or Vegetable Broth for a vegan and vegetarian soup. Regular stocks and gravies may contain gluten and dairy, with even free-from products containing inflammatory added sugar, vegetable oils, preservatives, additives and emulsifiers.
Bone broth is a great alternative as it is:-
- Free from major allergens, preservatives and emulsifiers,
- Contains collagen, which helps heal and strengthen the gut lining,
- Contains numerous essential amino acids, like glycine and glutamine, which reduce inflammation and improve digestion.
Many bone broths contain spices like black pepper that are not suitable for the autoimmune protocol. Australian Bone Broth Company’s or Trader Joe’s are two that are autoimmune protocol friendly.
To make a vegetarian and vegan soup use vegetable broth instead. However, it does contain nightshades so if following the autoimmune protocol (AIP) and nightshade free diet use bone broth.
5). Garlic clove
6). Sea moss gel (UK Link/US Link). Sea moss gel has thickening properties so is used instead of yoghurt or cream to make this a dairy free soup. It’s a rich source of anti-inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids and contains 92 of the 102 essential vitamins and minerals our body needs, helping to support our immune system, improve digestion and gut health and increase energy levels (1, 2).
Related Post: 20 Healthy Food and Drink Swaps For Numerous Dietary Requirements
- Weighing scales (UK Link/US Link)
- Chopping knife (UK Link/US Link)
- Measuring jug (UK Link/US Link)
- Measuring cups and spoons (UK Link/US Link)
- Saucepan (UK Link/US Link)
- Mixing spoon (UK Link/US Link)
- Blender (UK Link/US Link)
- Soup bowl (UK Link/US Link)
how to make, store and reheat this soup
Soups are a great quick, easy and healthy meal prep idea. A large batch can be made in one go and, after being left to cool completely, divided into portions and stored in the freezer in freezer-safe glass containers for up to 3 months. It’s perfect for busy weeknights or days when energy is low.
To eat, simply defrost the desired number of portions in the fridge overnight and then reheat in a saucepan over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the temperature of the soup is at least 165°F or 74°C (3).
As well as being a gluten free dairy free soup recipe, this root vegetable soup is also:-
- Lactose free
- Egg free
- Nut free
- Seed free
- Grain free
- Nightshade free (use bone broth)
- Oil free
- Vegan (use vegetable broth)
- Vegetarian (use vegetable broth)
- Autoimmune protocol (use bone broth)
- Whole30 friendly.
other gluten and dairy free recipes
- Immune Boosting Chaga Berry Smoothie Bowl
- Grain Free Apple and Pear Porridge
- Healthy Oven Baked Chocolate Pancake
mains & side dishes
- Sprouted Buckwheat Pesto Salad
- Vegan Hash With Sprouted Lentils
- Rainbow Nourish Bowl – For Any Dietary Requirement
- Butternut Squash Slices With Mushroom Duxelles
snacks & desserts
- Wild Blueberry & Lemon Healthy Bliss Balls
- Healthy Tropical Popsicles/Ice Lollies
- Healthy Turmeric/Golden Milk Panna Cotta
TAG ME IN YOUR root vegetable dairy free gluten free soup CREATIONS & CONTACT ME AND FOLLOW ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA
I really hope you enjoy this root vegetable soup. If you make the recipe I’d love to see your creations. Tag me on social media – I’m on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest & YouTube and also use the hashtag #lbhealthandlifestyle.
don’t forget to share this dairy free gluten free soup on social media using the buttons below the recipe card!
Root Vegetable Dairy Free Gluten Free Soup
This root vegetable soup is a healthy nutrient dense warm and comforting meal. Dairy free, gluten free, oil free, with vegan, autoimmune protocol AIP, paleo and whole30 options.
- 80 grams/3 ounces parsnip, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 80 grams/3 ounces sweet potato, cut into small cubes
- 80 grams/3 ounces carrot, cut into small cubes
- 80 grams/3 ounces turnip, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 600 ml/2.5 cups bone or vegetable broth (bone for AIP and nightshade free, vegetable for vegan/vegetarian)
- 1 tablespoon sea moss gel
- Weighing scales
- Chopping knife
- Measuring jug
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Mixing spoon
- Soup bowl
- Step 1 In a saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of filtered water over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, sage and rosemary and cook over a medium heat for 3 minutes until softened.
- Step 2 Add the parsnip, sweet potato, carrot, turnip and bone or vegetable broth. Bring the broth to a boil, then turn the heat down to medium and cook for 15 minutes, or until the root vegetables are tender when pierced with a knife.
- Step 3 Transfer the mixture to a blender. Add the sea moss gel. Blend on high for 3 minutes or until a smooth liquid is formed, with no lumps remaining.
- Step 4 Transfer to a soup bowl and serve straight away.
- Step 5 Above links are for US readers. UK links – bone broth, vegetable broth, sea moss gel, dried sage, dried rosemary, blender, soup bowl, saucepan, weighing scales, chopping knife, measuring jug, measuring cups & spoons, mixing spoon.
18 thoughts on “Root Vegetable Dairy Free Gluten Free Soup”
This was so easy to make and very delicious thanks for sharing!
You’re welcome Claudia. Thanks for your comment and feedback. I’m so glad you enjoyed the soup!
Great way to make use of winter vegetables and love how creamy this is while still being dairy free!
Thank you Gina! I’m so pleased to hear you enjoyed the soup 🙂
This is my favourite winter comfort food. So hearty and delicious.
Thank you Dannii, I really appreciate your comment. I’m so pleased you enjoyed it!
This soup is warm, and comforting, and perfect to serve for Thankgsiving!
Thank you Alison, I’m so glad you like the soup!
This is the perfect fall soup to make, specially when one is sick. All the healthy veggies blended into one bowl with all the great nutrients our body needs.
Thank you so much Mirlene, I really appreciate your comment and feedback. It definitely is a nutrient dense soup that is great for the cold season.
A lovely nourishing soup, so creamy you would never guess it is dairy-free! A real winter warmer, thanks so much.
Thank you so much for letting me know Kate. I’m so pleased the soup was a hit with you! Soups are definitely a great comforting meal for the cold months!
Impressively creamy and rich for not having dairy! What a treat. Love the comforting earthy flavors.
Thank you so much Dana, I’m so pleased to hear you enjoyed it!
Such a delicious combination of flavors from all of these root veggies. This really is the perfect fall soup!
Thank you so much Lauren! I’m so pleased you’re enjoying the soup. It’s definitely my go to meal to warm up during the fall!
Great recipe! This is the second time I am making it and love it! So hearty!
Thank you very much Gus, I’m so pleased you’re enjoying the soup!