Want a healthy pumpkin spice latte, made with ingredients shown to benefit health and wellbeing? Want a dairy free and allergy friendly version that caters for your diet and allergen needs? Sensitive to caffeine and want a coffee free drink? Then this sugar free pumpkin spice latte without coffee is the ultimate recipe for you! It contains a special ingredient which provides us with the same energy boost of coffee without the potential negative side effects of caffeine.
Disclaimer: This dairy free pumpkin spice latte recipe post is for informational purposes only. Information in this post and blog is not intended to constitute or be a substitute for medical advice. Please consult a qualified practitioner if you have any questions regarding medical problems and before making any changes to your current diet or treatment plan. This post contains affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you I will earn commission if you click on a link and make a purchase. See my full disclaimer here.
Nothing signifies the start of autumn/fall more for me than popping into Starbucks for my first pumpkin spice latte. However, it’s made with cream, milk, refined sugar and espresso so not suitable for those:-
- With certain food allergies/sensitivities and diet restrictions, like dairy,
- Those sensitive to and experience the negative side effects of caffeine,
- Those following diets like the autoimmune protocol where coffee is excluded and,
- Those looking to consume a healthy diet and lead a healthier lifestyle.
make your own homemade pumpkin spice latte
Fortunately it’s quick and easy to make your own pumpkin spice latte at home to cater for any diets and allergies. Therefore, no one has to miss out on enjoying our favourite seasonal drink or wait to pop to Starbucks to have one.
If you want a pumpkin spice coffee recipe that is:-
- Healthy – made with ingredients shown to improve gut health and support our immune system.
- Allergy friendly – replacing cream, milk and refined sugar with healthy allergy friendly alternatives so it can be enjoyed by everyone regardless of diet and allergy restrictions.
- Caffeine free – yet contains a special ingredient which provides us with the same energy boost of coffee without the negative side effects of caffeine.
Then this is the best pumpkin spice latte recipe for you!
Tigernut milk. Contrary to what the name suggests tiger nuts are a root vegetable not a nut. Tiger nut milk is a healthy allergy friendly plant based milk alternative, free from dairy, soy, grains, nuts, seeds & gluten. It provides a natural sweetness either preventing or reducing additional sweeteners needing to be added.
- Ceylon cinnamon (UK LINK/US LINK)
- Ground ginger (UK LINK/US LINK)
- Ground nutmeg (UK LINK/US LINK) – replace with ground mace for AIP (UK LINK/US LINK)
- Ground cloves (UK LINK/US LINK)
Chicory (UK Link/US Link). Chicory has a similar taste to coffee but is free from caffeine and stimulants so the perfect coffee substitute. It’s high in resistant starch, which feeds the good bacteria in our gut so can improve digestion and gut health, where 80% of our immune system is located (1)!
Medicinal mushroom powder (UK Link/US Link). The secret ingredient I was talking about! It contains a range of mushrooms, including reishi, cordyseps, chaga, shiitake & lion’s mane. Medicinal mushrooms, like chicory, are caffeine and stimulant free and have been shown to (2, 3, 4):-
- Support the immune system,
- Help prevent and fight bacteria and viruses,
- Boost energy levels,
- Balance blood sugar and hormone levels.
Therefore, it combines perfectly with chicory to make a great coffee substitute as it provides the same energy boost as coffee without the potential negative side effects of caffeine.
Sweet freedom syrup (UK Link/US Link). If you have a sweet tooth and want additional sweetness, then sweet freedom syrup is a great replacement for refined sugar in traditional pumpkin latte recipes. It has the following benefits:-
- Made from natural fruit extracts, making it refined sugar free,
- Contains less natural sugar than regular honey and agave syrup,
- Has a low glycaemic index, meaning it doesn’t cause a rapid rise in blood sugar levels,
- Naturally free from gluten, dairy, nuts, seeds and grains and suitable for vegans and vegetarians and those on the paleo and autoimmune protocol (AIP) diets.
- Small milk pan (UK Link/US Link)
- Measuring jug (UK Link/US Link) or measuring cups (UK Link/US Link)
- Measuring spoons (UK Link/US Link)
- Whisk (UK Link/US Link)
- Blender (UK Link/US Link)
I ensure the equipment used is 100% ceramic, glass or stainless steel, rather than plastic, aluminium, copper or teflon. Aluminium, copper, plastic and teflon leach toxins and heavy metals into the latte when heated, which is harmful to our health. 100% ceramic and glass are free from toxins, while stainless steel is safer than aluminium, copper and teflon (5).
- Related Toxin Free Lifestyle Posts:-
- 6 Free Ways To Start A Toxin Free Lifestyle (& Why It’s Important For Health)
- Chemical Free Home: 15 Easy Ways To Reduce Chemicals In Your Home
how to make a healthy pumpkin spice latte at home
Making your own DIY pumpkin spice latte couldn’t be easier – simply put all the ingredients in a small saucepan, whisk together and heat over a medium heat for 2 minutes. If you want to froth the milk to create the frothy topping that professional lattes have, then place the latte in a blender and blend on high for 1 minute.
For the whole30 version, place the medjool date into the blender with the latte and blend on high for 1 minute or until fully combined.
This sugar free pumpkin spice latte is free from:-
- Refined Sugar
It is also:-
- Autoimmune protocol friendly (omit medicinal mushroom powder)
- Whole30 friendly (omit medicinal mushroom powder & syrup & use medjool date to sweeten if needed)
other autumn/fall recipes
other drink recipes
- Banana Peel Herbal Tea For Sleep & Relaxation
- Herbal Tea For Liver Health
- Green Juice To Improve Digestion
TAG ME IN YOUR sugar free pumpkin spice latte CREATIONS ON SOCIAL MEDIA
I really hope you enjoy this pumpkin spice latte. If you make the recipe I’d love to see your creations. Tag me on social media – I’m on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest & YouTube and also use the hashtag #lbhealthandlifestyle.
don’t forget to share this post on social media using the buttons below!
Healthy Sugar Free Pumpkin Spice Latte (Caffeine Free)
Healthy sugar free pumpkin spice latte with medicinal mushrooms. Receive the energy boost of coffee without the negative side effects of caffeine. Allergy friendly - free from gluten, dairy, soy, nuts, seeds, grains & refined sugar. Vegan, autoimmune protocol (AIP), paleo & whole30 options.
- 250 ml / 1 cup tiger nut milk
- 2 tsp chicory
- 1 tsp medicinal mushroom powder (omit for AIP and whole30)
- 3 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 3/4 tsp ceylon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (replace with ground mace for AIP)
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp sweet freedom syrup (optional, or to desired sweetness - omit or replace with 1 medjool date for whole30)
- Step 1 Place the tiger nut milk, chicory, medicinal mushroom powder, pumpkin puree, ceylon cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg (or mace for AIP) and cloves in a small saucepan.
- Step 2 Whisk the ingredients together.
- Step 3 Heat over a medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Step 4 If using, stir in the sweet freedom syrup. Then transfer to a mug and serve straight away, with additional spices sprinkled on top (if desired).
- Step 5 For whole30 – if using medjool date, transfer latte to a blender, add the medjool date and blend on high for 1 minute or until fully combined.
- Step 6 Above links are for US readers. UK links – tiger nut milk, chicory, mushroom powder, pumpkin puree, ceylon cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, ground mace, ground cloves, sweet freedom syrup, medjool dates, small saucepan, whisk, blender.